Monday 20 November 2017

memory - Frequent BSODs on Windows 7 Professional after replacing Graphics Card (worked fine for ~2 weeks prior)

My computer died around 3 weeks ago due to the Graphics Card failing (Asus Direct CU II 7950, an old 1TB Samsung HDD also failed to power up after this) and just 2 weeks ago we replaced it with a new R9 390. It was working fine for about a week, but recently we've received 4 BSODs in the past 3 days. The first 2 were 0x0000000A and 0x0000001E and after the BSOD, one of the RAM modules stopped being detected (resocketing fixed it).


I was going to run a memtest this evening, however during operation I got 2 more BSODs (relatively quick succession), one being 0x0000003B and then 0x1000007E (BlueScreenView is pointing to hal.dll and Wdf01000.sys for this error). I am not really sure what is wrong with my computer right now, and I need help solving this.


If this is RAM, I intend to run Memtest later to verify, however if it is a driver issue I don't really know how to pinpoint what driver is causing the problem. Hope someone can help shed some light on this. For my system specs:



  • Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FXA

  • Processor: AMD FX-8320E

  • RAM: 2x G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz

  • HDD: 2TB Seagate, 1TB Seagate (with windows), 160GB WD

  • GPU: AMD R9 390

  • PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W


The only recent driver change I've done is uninstall the display driver completely (AMD clean uninstaller tool) and reinstall Crimson 16.3.2. I have had no other system changes during this time.


The previous 3 BSODs were kernel dumps so I cannot really upload them here but I will upload the latest (0x1000007E) BSOD dump here once someone tells me how (as I don't see an attachment option here). I really hope someone can help me with this really big problem.


Thank you very much!


Update: Used DDU to reinstall display drivers, still ended up getting 2 more BSODs:



  • KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (0x0000001E) pointing to CompositeBus.sys and ntoskrnl.exe

  • NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM (0x00000024) pointing to Ntfs.sys, ntoskrnl.exe and usbccgp.sys


Running a memtest now, hopefully this is really just a RAM issue.


Update 2: Ran memtest and it didn't detect any errors, ran a chkdsk as well and sfc and no errors from them either. Does anyone else have any suggestions perhaps?


Update 3: It is worth noting that the BSODs only happen when I start a game (Dota 2, Fallout 4, Batman Arkham Knight, etc). During normal use (e.g. videos, music, work or browsing) I experience no bsods, but the moment I start up a game it will bsod within a few minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...