Wednesday 22 November 2017

display - Is there a way to determine if my PC is killing my monitors that doesn't involve killing another monitor?


Is there a way to test to see if a PC is killing monitors somehow?


I have a power supply tester that I can use, but no other components have had problems. Would a multimeter be of use or a danger? Are two dead LCD monitors bad luck, statistically significant, or both?


FYI: The PC and monitor are plugged into the same power strip. I have an outlet tester, but I need to dig it out of my junk box. I'll update this post with the results of the test when I get them.


Update I tested the outlets in the surge strip and the wall socket with my outlet tester, and everything appears to be wired properly. No swapped wires or poorly grounded outlets.




(Hopefully) final update The new monitor has been in place for a few weeks now with no issues. If it's gonna die, hopefully it'll go before the warranty ends. Thanks for the reassurance!


Backstory for the bored or interested:


About 2 months ago, my wife yelled, "Honey! My computer isn't working!" When I investigated, it turns out that the LCD monitor was dead. It had power, but would not display anything on the screen. I swapped displays with another PC to verify that the monitor was dead. My monitor worked on her PC, but her monitor showed nothing on mine. At the time it seemed like no big deal, it was 7 years old and had survived 2 moves. It had served us well.


I replaced her dead monitor with the monitor from my PC and bought a new (bigger, sexier) monitor for mine. Now, her PC appears to have claimed a second display. This time it won't even power on. Maybe the second display was also on it last legs and the move pushed it towards the light, but I don't want to buy another display if it's just going to get fried.



Answer



This is probably just random bad luck. This is more likely if both monitors are about the same age, and made by the same manufacturer. Also, the monitors failed in different ways.


If you suspect your AC power, your outlet tester will only show you whether or not your wall outlet is wired correctly. A multimeter will show you whether or not the AC line voltage is OK. To look for anything more advanced, such as surges, spikes, and dips, you will need a -very- expensive power line tester.


If you suspect the graphics card, you will want to look at the graphics card video output. To do this, you will need an oscilloscope instead of a multimeter.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...