Thursday 30 November 2017

windows 7 - Wireless disconnects every 30 minutes


I have had a look through all the related questions and I get the feeling my problem is unique.


My wireless connection disconnects every 30 minutes, for maybe 1 to 3 seconds. If I am browsing the web while it happens, I get the page cannot be displayed error message.


I have checked the event logs as I was curious to know if there was anything in there.


There is.


Event 8033: BROWSER - The browser has forced an election on network
\Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{B919CC30-25A9-45DD-A09F-549A6262FC9E} because
a master browser was stopped.

Reported exactly every 30 minutes which coincides with my wireless problem.


I am running Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit. My wireless is Realtek RTL8187 integrated into a ASUS P5K-E/Wifi motherboard. It is on a workgroup and has never been on a domain.


This problem does not affect any other computers.


Wireless reception is great, and I have ensured that the wireless unit is transmitting on a frequency not used by any nearby wireless basestations.


How can I fix this pesky problem?



Answer



I think I know what this might be, as I have been egtting the exact same thing on my new Netbook and it has been driving me crazy. Every 30 minutes, regular as clockwork.


Are you using WPA-PSK ? I am. On my Zyxel router there is a setting "ReAuthentication Timer (In Seconds) " and this defaults to 1800 ( 30 minutes ). Sure enough, if I change this to 60 seconds, the problem now occurs every minute. Set it to 120 and it occurs every 2 minutes.


Check your router to see if you have this setting.


Chris.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...