Saturday 25 November 2017

Excel (2010) HYPERLINK: how to call a file with command line arguments and spaces in the path?


I am working on an Excel-document to make a (project-)folder structure manageable, using HYPERLINKs to important files and folders (Word/Excel, etc.).


Since we are also using TFS, I want to add the possibility to check out and check in right from within the Excel sheet. The one-stop landing and overview page.


If I simply have


=HYPERLINK("C:\work\TF.exe";"simple test")

I get a security warning, but the program executes.


In the end, I want something like


=HYPERLINK("C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\TF.exe status $/MyProject/Documents /recursive";"Find local Check Outs in Document folder")

However, this does not work for spaces in the file path and also for the command line arguments. Is there any way to make this run without using VB? Even if I wrap parts of the hyperlink with quotes (using double double quotes for Excel: "" -> ") does not improve anything, I get "file not found" error.


And.. only only only if I have to use VB (I do not like the security warning), what would be the best way to do this?



Answer



An alternative is to create a shortcut with the relevant command line switches embedded in it. Then you can hyperlink to the shortcut. Note that the shortcut has a .lnk extension.


If you'd like to do something more involved than launching a single executable with switches, you could link to a batch script (.bat).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...