Thursday 23 November 2017

How to restore partition table, when restoring entire disk using Clonezilla?

I created an image of my entire disk, just after purchasing my laptop, using CloneZilla. The disk image was created with the graphical version of CloneZilla, but in the logfile clonezilla-img, it says that it can be done over with the command:


ocs-sr -q2 -c -j2 -z1p -i 2000 -p true savedisk 2013-11-05-21-img sda

List of files:


total 25G
1.1K blkdev.list
13K clonezilla-img
4 disk
9.5K Info-dmi.txt
19K Info-lshw.txt
2.5K Info-lspci.txt
169 Info-packages.txt
80 Info-saved-by-cmd.txt
30 parts
26M sda1.vfat-ptcl-img.gz.aa
303M sda2.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
92M sda3.dd-img.aa
2.0G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
2.0G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ab
2.0G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ac
2.0G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ad
2.0G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ae
2.0G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.af
1.7G sda4.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ag
1.3M sda5.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
2.0G sda6.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.aa
2.0G sda6.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ab
2.0G sda6.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ac
2.0G sda6.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ad
2.0G sda6.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.ae
1.2G sda6.ntfs-ptcl-img.gz.af
37 sda-chs.sf
17K sda-gpt-1st
16K sda-gpt-2nd
18K sda-gpt.gdisk
868 sda-gpt.sgdisk
512 sda-mbr
799 sda-pt.parted
710 sda-pt.parted.compact
250 sda-pt.sf

Now I am trying to restore the whole thing, onto the same disk as I cloned from, using CloneZilla Live. I used the beginners mode, and somehow I got it to delete all partitions, but without restoring the partition table from the image. I'm not sure if I made a mistake, or if it really can't handle that and just expect the partitions to be in place.


So now it throws me into command line, asking me to restore the partition table, to prepare for restoring CloneZilla to restore the actual partition content.


No partition is found in this machine. To restore an image of 
partition, partition(s) must exist on the destination disk.

Now enter another shell to allow you to create partition table on
the destination disk. You may use fdisk, cfdisk, sfdisk or parted
to do that. When everything is done, run "exit" to go back to the
original program.

Do I need to do this manually, or can I make one of these partition tools read the desired partition table from the image?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...