Sunday 26 November 2017

windows xp - Is it possible for hackers to steal password stored in your browser?


I was just wondering if Windows XP passwords can be hacked. Then why can't a hacker just hack my passwords stored in my browser?


Is it possible for someone to know my browser-saved password while I surf the Internet? Does it become easy for hackers to steal from browsers that have open source code?


How do I safeguard browser-saved passwords?



Answer



If a hacker gains administrative access to your computer, he can certainly steal the passwords stored in the browser. That is one of the good reasons why you shouldn't store high-sensitive passwords in the browser.


Remember that the browser must be able to decrypt your password into clear-text, in order to be able to submit it for you automatically when you wish to gain access to a site. This is what makes the browser the most vulnerable. In many other systems (including the Windows passwords), the actual passwords are not stored, but instead a one-way hash of the actual password, making it practically impossible to revert the stored value to the actual clear-text password.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...