Monday 27 November 2017

Ubuntu 10.04 is not booting and turns to blank screen - cannot login


My Ubuntu 10.04 beta turns into black screen when I start it up. I see the Purple Ubuntu loading for less than a second, then it turns into blank black screen and nothing happens after, cannot use it or login.


I restarted it twice for updates, and it worked. I hibernated it (didn't work) so I forced to shutdown. It didn't boot since.


My video card is nVidia GeForce GT 130M.



Answer



Try booting up regularly and when it goes blank wait until you're sure that it's at the login screen.


Then hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 (in that order... well make sure you hit Ctrl+Alt before F1) to get into the command line mode. From there you can log in with your username and password to run apt-get upgrade, update, etc., and to remove your video card driver or replace it, etc.


Ctrl+Alt+F7 is the key combo to get back into the graphical mode.


Just be sure that if you do start up the PC that you don't just hard shut it down. Doing so can introduce errors into your OS that won't be very fun to diagnose or fix!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...