Wednesday 29 November 2017

How picky are RAID controllers when replacing a drive?


I had a drive fail in a RAID5 array and I'm working on finding a replacement. It's an older drive that's fairly hard to find, and most of them out there are used. How close of a drive do I need to the failed one? Can it just be the same size/speed or should I try to get the same model as the old one? Thanks!



Answer



Ideally, you want the exact same model, with the same firmware, size, speed, etc.


However, you should be able to get away with any drive as long as it is at least the same size, or bigger. Obviously, if it was smaller, the RAID would not have enough space. I have seen RAID controllers complain about "non-RAID compatible firmware", but the ones I have seen allow you to use the drive anyway - and it works fine. Another thing of note would be slower drives can cause bottlenecks and reduce the performance of the array. Personally, I cant recall a RAID array rejecting a drive for use, even on high performance RAID arrays.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...