Thursday 23 November 2017

windows 7 - Huge TIFF file bogs down Explorer thumbnail generation

In one of my photo folders, I have a 3.8 GiB TIFF image file. With automatic thumbnail generation set, explorer completely locks up my system when accessing the folder. By inspecting the Resource Monitor, I was able to see that explorer was trying to read the TIFF file at normal priority. Disk IO was thus locking up the system. Also, the memory consumption of explorer grew huge (more than available RAM), so the system was also trying to access the pagefile at the same time it was trying to read the TIFF file.


I had to force a shutdown to get back to my system. I turned off the thumbnail setting and I was now able to look inside the folder. But as soon as I single clicked on the file, explorer tried to read the entire file and locked up the system. I assume the right hand side quick preview was responsible for this lockup.


Can I specify a maximum file size that Windows should not attempt to thumbnail like in Adobe Bridge? Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...