Thursday 30 November 2017

Is there really no hope to upgrade the graphic card of a laptop?

I have a 3+ years old Pavillon dv6 1080el. It's aging fairly well, except for the battery, the palm rests and the nVidia 9200M GS graphic card, which is barely adequate for running any game at the lowest settings or sometimes even below that. I'm really tired of having poor fps at the lowest settings (or below!) with games from five goddamn years ago.


The CPU is beefy. The disk is mostly holding up. The battery could simply be replaced. The palm rest... eh, it's not pretty to look at but that's a fairly minor problem. The graphic card though is really starting to weight down on the system as a whole and pushing me towards getting a replacement machine early. Now would be a terrible time to do so, merely months before Windows 8 is released and every computer and their dog starts coming out with touchscreens. I need to squeeze roughly another year out of this thing.


Is there really no hope in upgrading the GPU of a now out-of-warranty laptop? What do I need to watch out for? Should I just hand it off to some computer shop to figure it out by themselves, or can I get a bit more active in the process?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...