Tuesday 4 December 2018

Can I change the icon used to identify profiles in Google Chrome web browser?


I'd like to make the profile icons in chrome more meaningful.


E.g. a pic of the profile's user, my company's logo for my work profile.


Edit: I've changed the accepted answer to reflect application updates.



Answer



Some of the answers are out of date or more complex than they need to be. Presumably Chrome has added some functionality since the question was asked.


As of June 2018:


First, check that a picture is associated with your Google account. Open GMail and see if a picture appears in the top right. If one shows up, you're good to go.


If you don't have a picture associated with your Google account:



  1. Open Gmail

  2. In the top right, click Settings

  3. In the "My Picture" section, click Change picture


Note: Changing your picture in GMail affects your entire account. This is just a convenient place to do it.


Note: If you have a GMail contact for yourself, any picture attached to that contact may override the picture you see in GMail. It's worth checking to see if you have such a contact, and whether that contact uses the same picture.


To change your image in Chrome, once you have an account picture:



  1. Open Chrome settings (Navigate to chrome://settings/ or via the menu)

  2. Click the user icon near the top left of the page (to the left of your account name)

  3. Select your account image if exists there


If your account image wasn't available, fear not. It just needs to be synced from Google.



  1. From the main settings page click "Sign Out"

  2. Do not choose to delete your data.

  3. Sign in again.


Your current account image will be synced. Repeat the steps in the previous section and enjoy your icon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...