Sunday 30 December 2018

windows xp - Replace, not merge, folders when copying


In Windows Vista, when I try to move a folder to replace an existing folder, Vista asks me if I want to merge the folders or cancel. How do I get the old XP behavior where the old folder is just replaced.


This issue is especially challenging when moving many folders at once and some of them move but then some of them hit this merge/cancel problem.


Thanks!



Answer



Windows XP doesn't replace a folder of the same name when you attempt to copy over it. It merges. It replaces any existing files of the same name and copies any new files from the source to the target.


Perhaps you are trying to ask how to prevent the constant prompts to overwrite files and folders? In XP, you were presented with the "Yes to All" button:


Yes to All


In Vista, there are check boxes at the bottom of the prompt dialogs to prevent it from asking you again:


Vista prompt to overwrite file


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...