Tuesday 25 December 2018

Is it possible to use a dual processor computer as your desktop?


I've seen some people suggesting to get a motherboard that supports two processors and stick two Xeon Nehalem processors in it.


Could you use this system as a desktop PC or is this useless or even impossible?




It's more hypothetical question if Windows 7 would support such a set-up. I know you could just take an i7, but wouldn't two of those processors be a whole lot more awesome? Like the previous generation Skulltrails?


The idea would be to have a motherboard like this ASUS Z8NA-D6C Dual LGA 1366 Intel 5500 ATX and two Xeons (since I don't think i7's could be used) Intel Xeon E5405 Harpertown to run something like Windows 7 Ultimate.



Answer



Dual processor desktop. Is it possible? Yes.
Should you do it? -- don't bother unless you have custom requirements for it.


In fact, do not even go beyond Dual Core processors.
Do i7 and Nehalam architecture in general have advantages? yes.
Recheck your need for a multiprocessor setup and take the call.


There are a lot of other hardware parts you can use the money on.
Memory for instance: Dynamic, Magnetic or Solid State these days!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...