Sunday 23 December 2018

windows - Running 32-bit vs. 64-bit programs on a 64-bit OS


If I'm running a 64-bit OS (Windows XP x64 edition) and a program has both a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version, what are the advantages of using the 64-bit version? Will it be faster?



Answer



XP 64-bits is not more secure than 32-bits.


Vista and (better) Windows 7 introduced in 64-bit mode enhanced security with hardware-backed DEP, Kernel Patch Protection and mandatory driver signing.


So the only advantage in XP is that a 64-bits program can use more than 4 GB of memory.
However, practically speaking, no program needs so much memory, except in large servers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...