Saturday 22 December 2018

Can I backup all computers in my network to my server using free software or windows only?



I have lots of different computers with windows (XP, 2003, vista, 7) and I am trying to backup some folders from each computer in the network to server. I want folders to synchronise every few hours!


Is that possible using only windows?
If I need a program, which one?



Answer



You can create a schedule task and use MS's synctoy via commandline to do this, you can also use robocopy which is built into windows and replaced xcopy.


Update


I would wrap my robocopy commands in a powershell script if you want to customize folders and destinations that depend on several factors.


Update 2


Here is the synctoycmd.exe help:


C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1>SyncToyCmd.exe /?
Usage: SyncToyCmd [-args]
-R Run all folder pairs that are marked as Active for Run All.
-R Run the named folder pair (only one folder pair can be specified
).
-? Display this help.

Examples:
SyncToyCmd -R MyFolderPair
SyncToyCmd -R

C:\Program Files\SyncToy 2.1>

For the program you want to specify the full path to synctoycmd, and specify your arguments accordingly. It's best to create a folder pair using the gui first, in fact you have to for this to work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...