Thursday 27 December 2018

How do I mount an NFS share in Windows 8?


I have a NAS that I'd like to mount over NFS. It works great on my Mac, but I cannot figure out how to mount this device on Windows 8.


I've searched a bit online, but all the articles seem to apply to Windows 7 and involve the mount command which doesn't seem to be part of Windows 8. What's the command to do this?



Answer



To connect to an NFS share, you need to make sure you have the NFS client installed. This component is a part of the Services for Unix component. Go into the control panel, Programs and Features, then Turn Windows features on or off. Make sure Services for Unix-based Applications (DEPRECATED) is checked, and click OK. Be advised that typically only Ultimate and Enterprise versions of Windows typically have this component available.


This will install the MS NFS client and (AFAIK) the mount command. I'm not at work so I can't verify exactly. If I remember I'll update Monday.


If your NAS can enable CIFS or SAMBA style shares, I would use that instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...