Sunday 23 December 2018

Is "Recent Documents" no longer provided in Windows 10 Start Menu?


I can find recent items settings, but these seem to only let me see recent items opened on a per-app basis i.e. I can look at my Microsoft Word icon and see recent documents opened by Word.


I can't see anywhere a simple "these are the last 10 documents/files you opened with any application" which is handy if I don't pin the apps in question to my startbar. This used to exist under Windows XP as "My Recent Documents":


screenshot


Is there a way to get this functionality?


For example: I open doc.docx, sheet.xlsl, options.txt, picture.bmp with different tools and then see these items listed in one place indicating the files I most recently opened?



Answer



I believe the "new thinking" at Microsoft during the redesign of the Start Menu was that if you want to access "files", then open File Explorer to access them, instead of the Start Menu.


To that end, when you open Explorer, it will default to "Quick Access" which includes the list of Recent Files. E.g.:


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...