Monday 31 December 2018

Ubuntu does not boot due to disk space full


I'm using Ubuntu 13.10. When I boot Ubuntu it does not start and just shows a blank screen. I tried cntrl+alt+f1 and using df -h I saw that my /dev/sda7 is completely full. I can't even remove old kernels due to low space. I cannot start Ubuntu, please help.



Answer



Ubuntu has started if you are able to do commands, it is just the gui you are missing. Now you just need to delete things with the rm command.


Please be careful, and make sure you understand what you are doing.


Perhaps you can delete some old logs? In the /var/log folder there are lots of logs.


Anything ending in a number such as .1, or a number with a gz suffix - .2.gz is an old log file. It is fairly safe to delete these.


However, you can use the du -shx /* command to see which of the root directories is using the most space. It is likely to be the /home/ directory, and your own home directory. Probably email or dropbox is taking up the most room.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...