Monday 24 December 2018

audio - Windows 8 turns program sound volume down randomly


I recently upgraded to Windows 8 from Win 7 64 bit and have started to encounter a strange issue. When I have any program running which plays sound, such as a game or spotify, after a random interval (usually around 5-10 minutes) the program sound will set itself really low.


If I Alt-Tab to the desktop and check the Mixer I can see that the Application volume has automatically set itself really low - the other volume levels (i.e. the Device speakers) stay the same. I'm able to just set the application volume back to a reasonable level and it stays that way for another 5 - 10 minutes then goes quiet again.


My sound is Realtek High Definition Audio and my machine is an Acer Aspire 5738G if that helps in any way.


Any help much appreciated!



Answer



This is often caused by Windows thinking (often incorrectly) you are running an application that uses a microphone/telephony, and lowers other sounds for you.


Try the following to disable this behavior:




  • In the Start menu, search in the Settings category (Win+W)for "Change Sound Card Settings".




  • In the Communications tab, change "When Windows detects communications activity" to Do nothing.




enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...