Monday 31 December 2018

linux - Way to write a bootable CD to a partition?


Arch-Linux comes with the best recovery CD I have ever come across. Although I don't always have it with me, so I want to have it on a partition.


What I would like to do is have this CD on a partition on my hard drive that I can boot from, without having the CD with me. Because sometimes I might not have it, and the recovery kernel is broken (example: a recent mkinitcpio kernel build). Is there a way, either using dd, or another external program to write it to a partition? Or is there a way to emulate a disk with just the .ISO?



Answer





  • dd will help you make the partition which is capable of making the system boot through it. We are basically doing the same thing to the USB drive to make it bootable.




  • However, you cannot tell you BIOS to boot through a partition, and hence you will need to configure your GRUB to boot through that partion using:





rootnoverify (hd0,n)
chainloader +1
boot



Where n is the partition number.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...