Friday 3 November 2017

linux - Use gnu-screen and X instead of desktop environment?


I have a HTPC with Debian currently installed on. I would like to run applications which got a gui but without using a desktop environment such as gnome, kde etc.


I was wondering if running X would be enough to run the applications and then use screen so I can switch between different gui applications running.



  1. Is this possible?

  2. If no, what else do I need?

  3. Are there any potential problems I might bump into?

  4. Are there a better way to achieve what I want?


Thank you



Answer



So far as I know, screen won't help for X Windows applications.


I believe the minimum you need is a Window Manager for X11 (e.g. FVWM or Blackbox). Without a desktop I think you'd have to start a xterm shell manually for subsequent launching of X apps (e.g. xterm & exec fvwm - see xwinman.org)


You might try a lightweight desktop environment (e.g. XFCE or LXDE) Your distro's package installer should be able to install this.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...