Tuesday 4 December 2018

windows - Read Only flag. A property of the folder, too? (not just file objects?)

I select the following option to set the "Read Only" flag at the folder level and to cascade this flag setting to all of the descendant objects...


enter image description here


When I check the files after initiating this command, they of course all have the read only flag set. However, when I check the folder, I see the Read Only flag check box appears in "Mixed state" even though all of the files have the flag set.


enter image description here


I know that Read Only is a property of a file, but is it also a property of a Folder? The Dialog box suggests that it is. However, why is the check box appearing mixed when I display the Read Only property of the folder? All of the files in this folder had there Read Only flag set, so the check box could not be representing a mixed status of the files within the folder.


It looks to me as though this check box is just used as a quick way to cascade the flag setting down, but the dialog box asks me if I "want to set it to the folder only" which confuses me since it does appear to work as though it is a property of the folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...