Thursday 20 December 2018

How to copy files that have too long of a filepath in Windows?


I need to make backups of some files on a network share. However, I need to copy those files to my local drive before burning the disks because those files might be in use. Some of the files won't copy because the file path is too long. Is there any workaround other than changing the file structure?



Answer



Maximum path length is 260 in Windows Vista/7. I can recommend three solutions:



  • (if the path is too long) First copy the folder to upper levels in windows explorer and then move it to your local computer

  • (if file names are too long) First try to zip/rar/7z them with an archive application and then copy the archive file to your local computer and then extract the contents.

  • Use third party apps.


All of these suggestions assume you have some sort of write access on the network shared folder/computer. If you can't do any of these then you might need help from your administrator.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...