Wednesday 5 December 2018

How to change the disk space left warning in Windows 7?


my disk has over 100GB of free space, but the usage bar in Computer is displayed in red, as if it reached a low space limit. It looks like Windows applies the same 10% or 15% hard disk space value for low space warnings, regardless of if the disk is 50GB in size or 1.5TB, which is not very smart and obsolete for most recent computers.


Is there a Registry key or some place I can change this percentage so the usage bar displays in green, not red?


The hibernation and page files are already reserved (5GB together), so surely the low space warning for a 1.5TB disk should be 5-10GB, not 150GB or more. The way Windows 7 computes the low space limit seems pretty dumb, not much Intellisense there.


This is not a high priority issue, but it makes the Computer applet look pretty stupid and it's irritating every day to see that 100GB of free space is putting my computer in the red. It would also be nice to be able to edit this low limit percentage in Computer/Manage/Storage/Disk Management or directly in the disk properties ("Tools" tab).



Answer



There is literally the same question on Microsoft Answers (I guess you asked it there too) and the answer of Swathi B (Microsoft Support Moderator):



This is by architecture; unfortunately there is no option to change the percentage for the low space warnings on the computer.


You may provide the feedback about adding any new feature to the Operating System on the link: http://connect.microsoft.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...