Monday 19 March 2018

Windows 10 hosts file used by another process


There are a few other question with this same title but they do not solve my problem, so I am opening another one.




  • I have set the permission for the "hosts" file to full access for the current user. I have even taken the ownership. Current user is in Administrators group.




  • I have turned off UAC.




  • I have removed read only permission from the file.


    C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc>attrib hosts
    A C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts


  • I have disabled my Panada Antivirus. I have also stopped 3 panda services from Services palette.




  • I open an elevated Command Line (run as Administrator). Run Notepad and change the file. When I try to save the file I receive the following error:


    "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.




  • I check the file using "Unlocker" and the software says there is no active lock on the file.




Can anyone help?



Answer



I could eventually find the culprit. It was a program called "Tiny Firewall" (a windows firewall rule management software) that caused the problem.


I am not exactly sure what does it do to the hosts file because none of the available software could show a lock on the file. I could find that it is somehow involved with the file using process monitor (Sysinternals). I quit the UI and stopped the process (would not allow to stop, killed the process-tree and set to manual service).


P.S.: This is a feature of Tiny Firewall (protection of hosts file) and you can simply turn it off from its settings.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...