Saturday 24 March 2018

Windows 10 fingerprint login changes default login method back to password


I have a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 that I use both standalone when I'm on the go, and connected through a dock to a monitor, keyboard, and mouse when I'm at home.


When I'm out, I use the fingerprint reader to log in. However, when I use it at home, I have the cover closed, so the fingerprint reader is not easily accessible, so I use the keyboard to log in.


When using the keyboard to log in, I prefer to log in via PIN, rather than password. If I log in via PIN multiple times while I'm at home, it remembers my last login method each time, and makes PIN the default login option. However, if at any point, I use fingerprint login, it changes the default login method back to Keyboard, so the next time I use it at home, I have to do two mouse clicks to change it back to PIN again. I know it's not a huge problem, but it is annoying to have to do that.


Is there a way to prevent it from switching the default login method from PIN back to Password every time I use the fingerprint reader to log in?



Answer



Check this article on how to set your default sign-in option in Windows 10 using a registry tweak.




  1. Press the Windows + R keys together, and then type regedit and hit Enter to access Registry Editor.




  2. Navigate to the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserTile




  3. Find your current account's SID on the right pane, and double-click on it to modify.




  4. Type {D6886603-9D2F-4EB2-B667-1971041FA96B} in the Value data field and click OK.




  5. Reboot your computer and it will display PIN as your default sign-in option on the logon screen.




GUID for each sign-in option:



  • PIN: {D6886603-9D2F-4EB2-B667-1971041FA96B}

  • Picture Logon: {2135F72A-90B5-4ED3-A7F1-8BB705AC276A}

  • Password: {60B78E88-EAD8-445C-9CFD-0B87F74EA6CD}

  • Fingerprint Logon: {BEC09223-B018-416D-A0AC-523971B639F5}


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...