Wednesday 21 March 2018

audio - Windows 10 volume jumps to 100% on random


So today I installed windows 10, and I love it except one thing:


The volume is bugged. I'll be sitting watching youtube videos on Microsoft Edge, click next video and my ears will be blown off because for some reason, the volume is all the way at 100% until I tweak it with the function key on my keyboard, in which it says it's at 30% and the audio jumps down to 30%. This mostly happens with Edge, and since Edge does not have a spot in my volume mixer, there's something funky going on there.


Everytime Edge loads a new video or audio element, the volume will jump to 100%, also sometimes when I switch between tabs, it will do the same.


I've also had Windows notification sounds jump to 100% in the volume mixer too. This is very frustrating as I am sometimes using a studio monitor, and having that blow because of a bug is just silly.


Is there any known issues with volume and Windows 10?


I should also mention that there is no headphone device in the volume settings, which there were before the upgrade.



Answer



Apparently it's a driver (Realtek supposedly) problem with Windows 10 that causes this issue, that is, playing a video anywhere (youtube, local file, etc.), pausing, waiting a few seconds, and playing again would result in a volume change without any real change in the speaker volume meter.


The following fixed it for me:



  1. Click start and type sound and hit enter (to open the Sound window). Or you can alternatively right-click on the sound icon in the tray area and select Sounds.

  2. Select the Playback tab and then right-click on the Speakers and select Properties.

  3. Go to Enhancements tab (if you have it) and uncheck Disable all sound effects (or any similar thing you might have in there).

  4. Also uncheck the immediate mode on top of the list.


For me it immediately fixed the problem, so give it a go and see what happens.


Originally posted here: Windows 10 maxes out volume sometimes


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...