Thursday 22 March 2018

ntfs - How to run chkdsk if I can't boot to Windows


I have a NTFS partition with Windows XP but it has bad sectors and it can't boot.


It's a SATA drive and the Windows CD can't access it because it's missing it's drivers, I don't have a floppy drive so I can't load drivers through there.


I've tried ntfsfix from Linux but it refuses to do anything. Also tried nftsclone with the --rescue option to at least back up the data but it doesn't work either.


How can I run chkdsk in this case?



Answer



If you have access to another computer and a CD burner, you can download (legally) a Vista or Windows 7 recovery disk and use this to run CHKDSK. Hopefully Vista or Win 7 would have drivers for your ESATA disk. http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...