Saturday 31 March 2018

networking - Unidentified network: How to configure TCP/IPv4 for Windows 7?


When I try to connect to internet I keep getting the error Unidentified network. I've tried numerous attempts at restoring access without success.


IP release, flushing DNS cache, reinstalling NIC, reactivating NIC, resetting router and so on...


I've read several times that it's my default gateway that's wrong. Currently I've had automatic IP/DNS configuration set without any problems, and then it stopped working for some reason.


Anyone know how I specify the IP? My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, default gateway is 192.168.0.1 but I have no idea how to determine what IP I should set.


I use a D-Link DIR-655 and other computers on the network have IPs like 192.168.0.194, next is 192.168.0.197.


(I'm completely lost and am trying to cool down after two weekends of debugging filled with despair.)



Answer



You should have turned off IPv6 for all adapters as first step.


Other repair commands that you can try are :


netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt   (reset TCP/IP stack)
netsh winsock reset c:\winsock.txt (reset winsock)

Another possible issue is that the routing table contains a phantom default route to a non-existent network interface card. The solution is to use the Command Prompt as Administrator and remove all default routes:


route delete 0.0.0.0

then renew the DHCP lease by running ipconfig /renew to recreate the correct 0.0.0.0 route.
Check your routes by using the command route print.


Last possibility is to regard in regedit the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces{GUID}
and do :



  1. If you have an entry "DefaultGatewayMetric" and the information is blank, delete that key

  2. If you have an entry "DefaultGateway" and the information is blank, delete this key as well

  3. Change the "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" entry from 0 to 1


I suggest creating a system restore-point before doing these manipulations.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...