Thursday 22 March 2018

Removing phantom external links in Excel


I have an excel spreadsheet with some an external link in that I can't get rid of.


I have read up on the internet quite a lot and Microsoft recommend the following:



  • For references in Cells: Using search and replace for [*] to find all references in worksheet cells.

  • For references in names: Opening up the name manager and making sure there are no external references there.

  • For references in Objects (this is really painful): Select each object individually and look in the formula bar.

  • For references in Charts (also painful): Check the formula bar the title and data series for every chart.


This still leaves me with a phantom external reference that I can't find, so I try some more things



  • The "Data - Edit Links" feature in Excel followed by clicking on "Break link" (nothing happens)

  • Used a "FindLink" plugin (didn't work for me, but was friendly to use)

  • Used Microsoft's DeleteLinks plug in (also didn't work and isn't friendly to use)



Answer



In the end I tracked this down to the conditional formatting rules.


Clicking on "Home - Conditional Formatting - Manage Rules" brings up the following dialog, which is relatively easy to look through and replace the external references.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...