Tuesday 16 January 2018

networking - Convert a router to a switch?


I have a couple of modem/routers that came with ISP services that are no longer being used. At the moment I have the current ISP's router running the wireless network and a wired portion to a couple of rooms. In one of those rooms I have a switch to connect all the computers there to the cable coming from the router.


In the other room I have a couple of cables (actually one split into two) but I need at least one additional wired connection there.


Can I convert the existing routers that I have to behave as switches? I don't want these routers to control their own subnet giving IPs to devices connected to it. They should be as transparent to the network as if I just had a few additional wired connections available there.



Answer



That very much depends on the routers.


If you can disable the DHCP server on the router and the router has a built-in switch then yes, you should be able to use it without problems.


If you can't disable the DHCP server then It'll cause problems on your network, so don't use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...