Saturday 27 January 2018

windows 10 - UAC keeps resetting on Windows10


I have a Windows10 Enterprise machine on which I want to disable UAC completely in order to execute all applications as Administrator per default.
However, my UAC settings keep resetting every time after a reboot.


I tried the following solutions:



  • Setting the following values in the registry hive HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System:

    • EnableLUA to 0

    • ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin to 0



  • I even made myself the effective owner of the registry hive above and denied every other user (incl. SYSTEM) to modify it.

  • Setting the following group policies:

    • Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Behavior of the elevation prompt for adminsitrators in Admin Approval Mode to Elevate without promting

    • Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Local Policies\Security Options\Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode to Disabled

    • There is an other setting somewhere around Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\ ??? which disables the automatic overriding of Group Policy Settings.



  • Reinstalling a fresh copy of Windows10

  • Writing a script in C# executed on every boot which sets all these settings for me - it did not work as not even Admin Privileges apparently are high enough to change these settings...


None of the above solutions --including the Windows re-installation-- helped resolving the problem.


I am aware that Windows10 has trouble running the WindowsStore and MSEdge etc. when one has UAC completely disabled - but I do not care as I do not use any of these "features".


Does anyone have a solution which I have maybe not yet tried?




As a developer, this drives me completely nuts.




Edit:
Completely disable UAC in Windows 10 is not a duplicate of my question, as I have tested all the proposed solutions in the linked question and they did not work for me (as specified above).



Answer



The bug seems to have gone away in the Windows10 build 1803 / 17134.523.


I will close this question although this is technically not a valid answer to my question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...