Wednesday 31 January 2018

intel core i7 - would ddr2 memory work in a motherboard with ddr3 standard?


I have a machine built with 4 x Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model 991599. I'm thinking of upgrading to an Intel iCore 7 CPU that requires a motherboard with a socket type LGA 1155. The problem is that neither of the available motherboards that I found with that socket type have a DDR2 standard.


I'm looking to save the most money possible with my current components and that means trying to avoid buying new memory. Would the DDR2 memory work on such motherboards?



Answer



Nope - DDR2 and DDR3 are electrically different and not cross compatible.


Pic: DDR3 on the top. DDR2 below.


enter image description here


Edit: Nice diagram in this answer too: Can you tell DDR and DDR2 apart visually?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...