Thursday 25 January 2018

laptop - How to test AC adapter?


I have a Toshiba laptop that is no longer receiving power when it's plugged in. How can I tell if problem is in the AC adapter or in the actual laptop?


I could buy a replacement adapter (this is the one), but I don't know if that is actually the problem.


Any opinion on the chances that it is something internal in my laptop or in the AC adapater w/o buying a new adapter?



Answer



Well, it's hard to do a good test, but here are some starting points:


You need a multimeter. Without it, there is nothing you can do. So first step is to plug the supply in and connect probes of the meter to the inner and outer connections of the supply. You should get around 19 V, if I'm reading the info on the site correctly.


If you get good voltage, then it's very likely that it's working correctly. If you want to be sure and know someone good with electronics, you could try putting some load on the supply. The voltage should not change even under load. Still, it could be complicated to make proper resistor network, so don't try it if you don't know what you're doing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...