Thursday 25 January 2018

USB storage recognized on linux, not windows, mkfs in which type?


I have a key that have been infected by the famous virus which transform files to shortcut. I ve done USBFix to clean it, and put it on a raspberry pi, I saw files in normal and .lnk form, and erased everything. (sudo rm -r /media/usb/*).


But now, windows don t recognized it, so I thought I ll reformat it from the raspberry.


ls -al /sbin/ | grep mkfs bring me this:


mkfs
mkfs.bfs
mkfs.cramfs
mkfs.ext2
mkfs.ext3
mkfs.ext4
mkfs.ext4dev
mkfs.minix

Which one would be recognized by windows so I can use the device again?



Answer



You can install the ntfs-3g package which will give you mkfs.ntfs or install the dosfstools package to get mkfs.vfat assuming you're using Raspbian.


Simple as apt-get install dosfstools for example. Then you will get mkfs.vfat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...