Sunday 21 January 2018

Alias Command for Windows


While at work, I want to use the CLI to be more productive on my Windows machine. What command, in Windows, would be a replacement for the alias command?



Answer



doskey com=a long command $*

Here $* expands to everything typed after com. For example, com Hi! would be expanded to a long command Hi!



  • This not limited to the cmd.exe shell – it works with any program that uses a Win32 console window. (For example, for Python's interactive shell, use doskey /exefile:python.exe ...)


See doskey /? for usage. The aliases can also be added programatically; see Console Aliases for the API.




To apply aliases automatically whenever cmd.exe is launched:




  1. Put them in a text file, in the form alias=expansion:


    com=very long example command
    cd=cd /d $*

    I keep my aliases in %AppData%\doskey.txt.




  2. Create a batch script containing the doskey command:


    @echo off

    doskey /macrofile:"%AppData%\doskey.txt"

    Of course, point /macrofile to the location you have chosen in step 1.


    A good name for this script is %AppData%\autorun.cmd.




  3. In Registry, open key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Command Processor and point the value AutoRun to the script.



    1. Run regedit, navigate to the given key.

    2. If a value named AutoRun does not exist, create it: right-click → New → String

    3. Modify the associated data to point to wherever your autorun script from #2 is located.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...