Wednesday 24 January 2018

networking - Home LAN with two subnets: only one subnet can see the other

I set up a home LAN with two routers, the second used to repeat the Wi-Fi signal of the first one in an area of the house where the signal of Router A doesn't reach. Both routers and all clients are connected through wireless connections; none of the routers has Ethernet ports.


Router A is a portable router that connects to the Internet through a 3G connection. The second router (Router B), also portable, is a wireless client of router A and also repeats its Wi-Fi signal.


Router A is a portable Huawei 3g router


Router B is a portable Hootoo Travel Mate router


The network is set up this way:


Router A



  • Connects to the Internet via 3G connection, WAN IP and gateway assigned by the ISP


  • LAN address 192.168.8.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, DHCP disabled


    Clients:



    • .30 Android tablet (media server, Samba server)

    • .20 Android phone

    • .10 Windows 8.1 laptop

    • .2 Router B




Router B (Wi-Fi bridge/repeater)



  • Connects to the Internet via Router A

  • LAN address 192.168.9.1, gateway 192.168.8.1, netmask 255.255.255.0, DHCP disabled

  • It's client of Router A with IP: 192.168.8.2 (wireless connection, not cable)


  • It's gateway for its clients with IP 192.168.9.1


    Clients:



    • Android phone

    • Windows 8.1 laptop




The Android tablet always stays on network 192.168.8.X; the phone and the Windows laptop roam between 192.168.8.X and 192.168.9.X. They have fixed IP addresses on 192.168.8.X because of a Wi-Fi backup system I have in place. The Android tablet hosts a UPnP media server (Kodi) and a Samba server.


From 192.168.9.X I can ping all machines both on 192.168.8.X and on 192.168.9.X.  I can also access the media server, even though it doesn't get automatically detected; I have to specify its IP address, I imagine because broadcast packets do not pass through router B.  I can access the Samba server through Windows shares but not by name, only by specifying the IP address of the share. That's not a problem.


From 192.168.8.X I cannot ping any machine on 192.168.9.X, but only Router B as 192.168.8.2.


I have no need of two subnets, but couldn't/don't know how to configure Router B to just extend the first network without creating a new one.


How can I configure my equipment so all my machines can talk to all other machines, regardless of their location in the house?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...