Monday 29 January 2018

dell inspiron - Error 0xc0000260 when installing Windows 8 Consumer Preview on an old laptop


I'm attempting to install Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a Dell Inspiron 8600, and I am getting a 0xc0000260 error.


Googling around, I found that others get this error when installing on a Virtual Machine without the PAE/NX checkbox enabled. I'm pretty sure my processor doesn't support either one of those. (It is a Pentium M "Banias" 1.6.)


Other notes:



  • I'm trying to install the 32-bit version.

  • I meet the formal system requirements (1 GHz, 2 GB, 16 GB).

  • I've attempted to install from within Windows 7 as well as booting from a USB installer.


Am I missing some other, undocumented hardware requirement (e.g. PAE)? Is there another install method I should try?


error via install from windows
error via usb boot



Answer



Finally have a real answer - PAE/NX/SSE2 are required for Windows 8.


http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh975398 :



NX requires PAE-capable processors on 32-bit version of Windows. All 64-bit processors support NX, as they are Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) aware. Therefore, the issue of old 32-bit processors that are not PAE-capable has no WOA implications or Windows Server (Windows Server 2012 is 64-bit only) implications. The processor requirement won't impact customers on modern systems, or on systems that meet logo requirements for Windows 7 because these systems have PAE-capable 32-bit processors that support NX and allow NX to be turned on. Only a small set of customers who have Windows 7 running on very old 32-bit processors without PAE/NX support will be impacted.


Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows Server 2012 Beta were released with the requirement for PAE, which impacted a small number of customers with old hardware that did not support PAE. Many of these installation failures occurred when installing Windows 8 on misconfigured Virtual Machines (VMs). Windows Setup would fail the installation with error 0xc0000260 and roll back to Windows 7.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...