Tuesday 30 January 2018

windows - How to connect to rootccmClientSDK (or other) namespace in WBemTest

This question is related to "this StackOverflow question": there's a WMI related problem on a customer's PC, how to tackle it? I'm trying different approaches solve this question:



  1. Take a dump of the WMiPrvSE.exe process, and check its contents (it should contain WMI queries' results, which I'm trying to read).

  2. Check the event logs, which contain the queries themselves, and see if I can learn anything from there.


The first approach is handled in the mentioned StackOverflow URL, while here I'd like to tackle the second approach, but also this is giving problems:


In the event log, I can see entries like the following:


Namespace = root\ccm\ClientSDK;
NotificationQuery = select * from CCM_InstanceEvent

In order to understand what this means, I try to launch this query on a local PC (Windows Server 2016, just like the customer's PC), but this seems not to work:



  1. I launch WBemTest


  2. I try to connect to root\ccm\ClientSDK namespace, but this namespace seems not to exist, as can be seen in following error message:


    Number: 0x8004100e
    Facility: WMI
    Description: Invalid namespace


For your information, the namespaces root and root\cimv2 are working fine.
Being completely ignorant about WMI, I decided to check the registry, where I've found the following key:


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Wbem\CIMOM\SecuredHostProviders

This contains entries, like root\cimv2:..., and also root\nap, but connecting to root\nap also not seems to work in WBemTest.


Does anybody know why I can't connect to the root\ccm\ClientSDK (or other) namespace? Is there somewhere a list of namespaces I can connect to?


As far as tagging is concerned: my customer is working with Windows Server 2016 but I don't know if my question only relates to this particular version or to the whole Windows platform series.


Edit after more insight


In the meantime I've downloaded WMI explorer and this shows me the following WMI namespaces:


root\accesslogging
root\appv
root\aspnet
root\cmiv2
root\cli
root\default
...

As you see, there's no root\ccm. Does this mean that the mentioned query is wrong and that I can remove that query from my application?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...