Wednesday 31 January 2018

gaming - Bad performance and odd behavior since Windows 10 Creators Update

Recently I've had to update my PC to the new Windows 10 Creators Update.


After it was installed, I jumped right into a game and immediately noticed some low frames. I did a disk cleanup, hoping it would help, but no. Without further thinking I just did a complete clean install of the new CU. I thought problems would be fixed. I installed my programs, games and drivers and the first thing I noticed was odd behavior as regards to my overclocks. My GPU OC no longer worked at all; whenever I did the slightest OC I would instantly get weird screen tears on my desktop. My CPU OC also seemed a little unstable even though I haven't used different OC values.


So now to my real problem, the bad in-game performance. Even with the clean installation of the CU, I still have lower FPS than usual. Some games have more obvious performance decreases than others but it's definitely noticeable in most games. Overwatch used to stay completely locked at 60 fps but now it stutters pretty often with frames as low as 30.  GTA 5 ran with a nice 40/50 fps most of the time and never dipping below 30.  Now it's at 28 fps most of the time. DOOM may even be the worst since the update. That game ran 60 fps almost constant, even in the more demanding scenes. Now it runs 40 fps, even in the first mission which isn't demanding at all.


Now the reason I'm posting this is because I'm clueless on what to do. I've tried everything I could think of but nothing worked so far. These are the things I have already done:



  • Disabled Game DVR

  • Disabled Game Mode

  • Disabled Fullscreen Optimization (which seemed to make the FPS worse than it already was)

  • Used the default clock speed (which also made the performance worse (obviously))

  • Updated my graphics drivers

  • Checked for Windows updates (which where already up-to-date)

  • Used both the default Power Options and my own (which didn't make an obvious difference)

  • Did a Disk Cleanup

  • Did a disk defragmentation

  • Checked my temperatures (which were fine)


Again, nothing I've tried worked. The performance stays bad. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't require me to buy new hardware (obviously). Games have worked well before so I just ask for a solution to make my PC work as it used to. Going back to a previous build can't be done because I clean installed my OS which got rid of the Anniversary Update, so now Roll Back is not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...