Sunday 21 January 2018

multiple monitors - Can a fake second display be enabled in Windows 10?


I just updated to Windows 10 and discovered that Microsoft broke this method of adding a fake second monitor: Is there a way to fake a dual (second) monitor which I rely on for scaling some small programs to full screen with OBS. The "Detect" button in Control Panel seems to do nothing, and the "Detect" button in Settings simply says a display was not connected.


Is there any way to force Windows 10 to think there's a display connected on VGA without extra hardware or paid software? I'm using a laptop with an NVIDIA 970M with HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort out.


What I've tried:



  • The "My display is not shown..." option in the NVIDIA Control Panel, which won't let me add anything and only has options for televisions

  • SpaceDesk, which almost works except that my real display is bumped to #2, and requires a client to be connected

  • DemoForge Mirage/ZoneScreen, which also require a connected client and are somewhat unstable on recent versions of Windows

  • VirtualMonitor which I think is almost what I want, but isn't compatible with Windows >7 and has some compatibility issues (?)


Note that I am not looking for Virtual Desktop software, and I don't need anything as fancy as Matrox PowerDesk or Virtual Display Manager.



Answer



This is by far not the ideal solution, but for now it will do: I put a 102 Ohm resistor across pins 2 and 7 of my VGA port (also known as the headless Mac Mini trick), and Windows 10 now believes I have a second monitor attached.


On a different computer I had to use pins 1 and 6 and reboot before the "monitor" would work.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...