Sunday 21 January 2018

Resize partition of Windows 7 running on VirtualBox with dynamically allocated storage


I run Windows 7 inside VirtualBox.


I resized the disk of Windows 7 from 25 GB to 50 GB:


VBoxManage modifyhd Windows\ 7\ Pro.vdi --resize 50000
0%...10%...20%...30%...40%...50%...60%...70%...80%...90%...100%

VirtualBox size


PROBLEM: I can' grow the partition, neither with Windows 7 itself nor with GParted:


Disk management


GParted


It looks like VirtualBox does not tell the client OS about the new size.
What additional step is necessary?



Answer



You can only resize disks if they are not part of a VM that uses snapshots.


If you are using snapshots, you can easily clone the state to a new VM and hard disk, and resize that one. VirtualBox 4 now supports cloning from the GUI, so it's super easy.


VBoxManage - modifyhd


Here's a helpful walk through of the whole process, Resize and Expand a Virtualbox Hard Drive and Media in 4 Steps


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...