Friday 26 January 2018

hard drive - How to recover data from dead disk?



I just dropped my disk and it doesn't spin anymore when connecting.


Unlucky me - it's a backup disk - and I need the data.


I did try to find a service but they are really expensive and outside my financial reach.


I am wondering if there is a way to somehow disassemble the disk and mount the spinning metal magnetic disk's into some kind of "recovery drive" ?



Answer



While I do agree with the previous answer, there ARE tools available to preform this sort of work, but you really need to know what you are doing in order to be successful. It really all depends on what component has failed inside of the disk. It could be the motor, the circuit board, the power circuitry, etc. Unless you can pinpoint what subsystem has failed, I would just chalk up loosing whatever data you are wanting to recover and realize that having 1 backup of your data is not sufficient. For really important data like irreplaceable photos, artwork, music you have recorded or other things you cannot simply purchase from somewhere online you need to have a physical onsite backup as well as some sort of cloud storage solution (or some form of offsite storage) for situations like the one you are in. In addition, I also regularly take all of my irreplaceable data and make periodic copies to hard drives and have friends or relatives hold onto them (preferably in other states or countries). I learned a very similar lesson when I lost 6 years worth of art and music I had created due to a hard drive failure.


If you are interested, check out http://hddsurgery.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...