Sunday 3 December 2017

windows - How to prevent Mac OS X creating .DS_Store files on non Mac (HFS) Volumes?


Is there a way to prevent Mac OS X creating .DS_Store and other hidden meta-files on foreign volumes like NTFS and FAT? I share an NTFS partition with data like Thunderird & Firefox's profiles and apache's DocumentRoot, between Mac OS X and Windows, which is very handy. I don't mind if Mac OS X is not capable of indexing or otherwise doing the neat things those metafiles are for.


Note: It's not shared over a network, both operating systems and the shared partition coexist on the same disk, on the same machine.



Answer



If you are sharing the NTFS partition over a network, using SMB or some such, you can turn it off.


defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true

Apple tech bulletin "How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections". I have not verified that this still works with Snow Leopard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...