Saturday 30 December 2017

windows 7 - What to do with a ton of extra memory?


I have 8gigs of RAM in this machine. I never really use more than say 4gigs (includes my virtual machines I use for dev testing).


What can I do with this extra space to best improve system performance?


Some guesses:



  • Improve my disk performance by turning off the pagefile?

  • Improve my disk performance by increasing the disk cache amount?

  • Move temporary folders to a ramdisk?

  • Somehow configure SuperFetch to cache more? (currently 1.5gigs)

  • Any other suggestions??


This is on 64-bit Windows 7.



Answer



Let Windows manage the memory. It does a much better job than you can, even if you understand how it works, which you probably don't. A RAMDISK is almost always a poor use of memory. Disabling the pagefile will more often than not impair performance.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...