Sunday 24 December 2017

networking - When I hibernate or turn off/on my Windows 10 PC, the NIC stops working


As the title states, every time I turn on my PC (or wake it up) I won't be able to connect to the Internet.


I have had this problem for quite some time and the only solution I have found so far is to disable and enable again the hardware component itself through the Control Panel.


The NIC in question is a Killer Networking E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller (which is onboard, so I can't physically replace the part). Drivers are up-to-date, but the problem persists even with new updates.


Is there a way to fix this? Or, alternatively, a way to tell Windows to automatically disable/enable the NIC on startup?



Answer



I had the same problem when I originally upgraded my old laptop to Windows 10 a few years ago. After doing some research online, I found that if I disabled Fast Startup, the problem disappeared:



  1. Press Windows Key + X


  2. Select Power Options


    Power Options




  3. Select Additional power settings on the right


    Additional power settings




  4. Select Choose what the power buttons do on the upper-left


    Choose what the power buttons do




  5. Select Change settings that are currently unavailable


    Change settings that are currently unavailable




  6. Scroll to the bottom of the window and uncheck the box associated with Turn on fast startup


    Turn on fast startup




  7. Click the button to Save changes



  8. Reboot your system




Source: The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...