Sunday 31 December 2017

How can I install Linux on an old laptop without CD-ROM or bootable USB (have Windows installed)

I have an old Compaq Armada M700 laptop with 256MB of RAM and an 800MHz Pentium III CPU. I would like to install Linux on the machine for web browsing and use as an SSH client.


Unfortunately the CD-ROM drive is broken and this laptop can't boot from USB.


Right now I have a working copy of Windows XP onboard.


One thing I tried was putting two Linux installers on a USB stick, and running them from Windows:



  • Linux Mint Installator - installation completes on Windows but shows errors when booting.

  • WUBI with Ubuntu 9.10 and 11.04 - both install okay in Windows, but hang when booting.


Perhaps someone could recommend how I can install any other small Linux distributions from Windows?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...