Sunday 24 December 2017

linux - Continue process after closing terminal?




Possible Duplicate:
Leave bash script running on remote terminal while not logged in?



Recently, I tried to unzip a 30 gig zip file on a remote system using Putty. As the long unzipping process continued, I closed Putty, assuming that the process would just continue to run on the remote machine.


When I came back later and logged back into the machine again, I realized that the process must have stopped only part way through when I closed Putty. I wasn't expecting that to happen.


My question is, how do I prevent this problem? Can I somehow fire off a process in the background? Or should just setup a one time cronjob that will run the process for me?



Answer



nohup or disown (in bash) will allow a process or job to continue in the background after the controlling shell has been killed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...