Friday 29 December 2017

Printer Add button not enabled in ubuntu 12.04


I am trying to set-up a network printer on my system.


Navigated to System Setting>>Printing and viola the Add button out there is disabled.


When i troubleshooted using Help it said that the CUPS print spooler does not appear to be running. To correct this, choose System->Administration->Services from the main menu and look for 'cups' service.


Please tell me what to do in order to add a printer!



Answer



When CUPS is not running the Printers panel looks like this on my Ubunbu 12.04:


enter image description here


Is this what you see?


About CUPS:




  • Use this command to check whether CUPS is installed:


    dpkg --list | grep ' cups '

    Typical output when installed is:


    ii  cups                1.5.3-0ubuntu4      Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server

    If you don't see any output, install CUPS:


    sudo apt-get install cups

    and start it:


    Ubuntu 12.04: sudo service cups start


    Ubuntu 16.04: sudo sudo systemctl start cups.service




  • If it is already installed it may not be running, check it like this:


    ps -ef|grep cups | grep -v grep

    Typical output when running is:


    root       925     1  0 Oct17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/cupsd -F

    If you don't see any output CUPS is not running. Start it like this:


    Ubuntu 12.04: sudo service cups start


    Ubuntu 16.04: sudo sudo systemctl start cups.service




Could you try it and post any problems?


More information on CUPS:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...