Sunday 31 December 2017

memory - How important is the 1GB RAM per 1TB disk space rule for ZFS?

I'm planning on building my first NAS box and currently I'm considering FreeNAS and ZFS for it. I read up on ZFS and it's feature set sounds interesting, although I will probably only use a fraction of it.


Most guides say that the recommended rule of thumb is that you need 1 GB of (ECC-)RAM for every TB of disk space in your pool. So my question is, what is the actual (expected) impact on ignoring this rule?


Here is a setup of someone who build a 71 TiB NAS with ZFS and 16GB RAM. According to him it run's like a charm. He uses Linux however (if this makes a difference).


So apparently you don't actually need 96 or even 64 Gigs of RAM to run such a large pool. But the rule must be there for a reason. So what happens if you do not have the recommended amount of RAM? Is it just a bit slower or do you run the risk of losing data or accessing your data at a snails pace only?




I realize that this has also a lot to do with the features that will be used, so here are the parameters I'm considering:



  • It's a home system

  • 16GB ECC RAM (the maximum supported by the setup I have in mind)

  • No deduplication, no ZIL, no L2ARC

  • Probably with compression enabled

  • Will store mostly media files of various sizes

  • Will probably run bit torrent or similar services (frequent smaller reads/writes)

  • 4 disks, probably 5 TB each

  • Actual pool setup will probably be part of another question but I think no RAIDZ (although I would be interested to know if it actually makes a difference in this context), probably two pools with two disks each (for 10TB netto storage), one acting as backup

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where does Skype save my contact's avatars in Linux?

I'm using Skype on Linux. Where can I find images cached by skype of my contact's avatars? Answer I wanted to get those Skype avat...